House prices prove major drawcard
The Timaru residential market offers a variety of properties for all tastes and budgets.
The average house value for Timaru District in year to September 2023 is $511,242 (Source: Infometrics Quarterly Economic Report).
Prices for premium top end properties in prime locations begin at about $900,000 and go up to $1 million or more. Rural lifestyle properties on the outskirts of town can be sought after and can range from $900,000 up to well over $1.5 million depending on location and land size. Entry level housing for a basic ownership unit begins at about $350,000, while most real estate market activity is in the price range between $500,000 and $800,000.
Many new residents choose to rent a home when first arriving in the region, with the rental for a three bedroom family home ranging from $480 - $750 per week depending on the quality and location of the property.
Timaru District offers:
- Affordable lifestyle - housing, amenities, services, schooling and more
- Easier to achieve work/life balance
- Central location with easy driving access to major cities and daily flights to Wellington, New Zealand's capital city
- Leading pre-school, primary and secondary schools and tertiary education
- Excellent primary and secondary healthcare with public and private hospitals
- Thriving retail sector offering both national chain stores and local boutiques
- Temperate climate and beautiful natural environment
- Active arts, drama, music and cultural scene
- World-class sporting and recreational facilities, including rugby, cricket, athletics, tennis, in-line skating, swimming, climbing, motor sports and cycling
- Low crime rate
- Low unemployment rate
- Newcomers welcomed to the district and supported.