House prices prove major drawcard
The Timaru residential market offers a variety of properties for all tastes and budgets.
The average house price for Timaru District in year to June 2019 is $366,000. Prices for premium top end properties in prime locations begin at about $650,000 and go up to $1 million or more. Rural lifestyle properties on the outskirts of town are sought after and can range from $500,000 up to well over $1 million depending on location and land size. Entry level housing for a basic ownership unit begins at about $240,000, while most real estate market activity is in the price range between $300,000 and $450,000.
Many new residents choose to rent a home on first arriving in the region, with the average rental for a family home in a good area of around $330 - $350 per week. Many local real estate agents also manage rental portfolios. Currently, like most areas in New Zealand, the district is experiencing a shortage of available properties for sale and upward pressure on prices.
Have a look at our houses
Check out the house you can buy in Timaru District for between $250,000 - $450,000 and you'll see why there is affordable for all income levels. Affordable housing here. The videos below show housing in two different areas of Timaru; a more established suburb of Watlington, and a new sub-division in Gleniti.
Timaru District offers:
- Affordable lifestyle - housing, amenities, services, schooling and more
- Easier to achieve work/life balance
- Central location with easy driving access to major cities and daily flights to Wellington, New Zealand's capital city
- Leading pre-school, primary and secondary schools and tertiary education
- Excellent primary and secondary healthcare with public and private hospitals
- Thriving retail sector offering both national chain stores and local boutiques
- Temperate climate and beautiful natural environment
- Active arts, drama, music and cultural scene
- World-class sporting and recreational facilities, including rugby, cricket, athletics, tennis, in-line skating, swimming, climbing, motor sports and cycling
- Low crime rate
- Low unemployment rate
- Newcomers welcomed to the district and supported.